Friday, October 24, 2008

W9T2

There are two main difficulties encountered when writing in my engineering classes. I find it difficult to relate my ideas and turn them into language words. Also, i find it hard to link my ideas together to create a smoother flow in my work.
Firstly,I have problems relating my ideas into language words. This is particularly so when my assignment requires me to describe and assess situations critically. For example in MLE 1101,the module requires me to design a problem and evaluate.Hence I have problems putting across my ideas effectively in written forms. This problem has been improved when I started doing vocabulary exercises from books such as 'Focus On Vocabulary' and 'Writing Academic English'. It gives me insights and depths on the vocabulary world and I have improved my vocabulary skills as a result. Now i have more choices of words to use than before and this has helped me in my work.
Secondly,I find it hard to link my ideas in my work. This has made my assignments unreadable at times. Therefore, I have started reading up articles on transition signals. This has enabled me to add and compound ideas in an organized manner unlike before.
In conclusion,I find myself more comfortable writing in my engineering classes after reading up and doing grammar and vocabulary exercises. To further improve my language usage, I will continue to read up related language articles and also show my friends my written work for comments and editing.

5 comments:

kok_hui@nus said...

I agree with your point that linking ideas is often a diffcult task because that often happen to me too. In order to bring an idea to your reader, you must link all the parts together first so the reader can understand and if you cannot do that, no matter how good your idea is, your reader will never know it.

I think one way to improve that is through speaking. While a reader who fail to understand your point may just skip it, a person you are talking to will just question you directly. Linking ideas together in speaking is as essential as writing as poor communication are often often resulted from that

Shen said...

I too, feel that focus on vocabulary and doing text editing exercises have made english an easier subject to use!

Converting ideas to words is also a problem that i can identify with. But i realise that talking it out before writing them helps a lot! maybe you can try it too.

Jenny, Zhou Xuan said...

yep. i do have problem transforming ideas into words also. usually, i feel that i can describe my ideas vocally but not in formal writing. i think it is due to my lack of vocab

Li Lu said...

I too, also have problems in linking ideas smoothly. Sometimes i just feel i have a lot to say but do not know where to start. "Focus on vocabulary" is really a useful book and after exercising, i feel i have more choices when using words and also have variable sentence structures to choose from.
But it is still quite challenging to write academic essay formally. Maybe i need to work hard!

Xinyu said...

I think you provide me some solutions to the problems I have inwriting in engineering.Maybe that is the problems of not using English as my mother tone, I feel it quite hard to find the porper word to express my opinion, especially in the engineering field.